OAKLANDS WOLVES WOMEN’S FOOTBALL ACADEMY
CREATING & DEVELOPING TOP FOOTBALLERS
Arsenal Women are pleased to announce we are now accepting applications for our WSL Academy Programme and our Oaklands College Women’s Football Academy for September 2020-21.
Our Dual Career Academy provides a full-time football and education programme for players who aspire to play at the highest level, while also committing to an academic programme of study or work-related training programme.
Arsenal Women have now linked up with Oaklands College in St Albans, Hertfordshire who will become their Principal Further Education Provider for the Academy from Sept 2020. This will allow all players in the WSL Academy to complete their academic studies at Oaklands College while also completing their football education with Arsenal Women FC.
Our new link with Oaklands College also enables us to offer residential options for elite players that live further afield who may wish to live on campus at Oaklands in their new 80 bed residential accommodation facilities.
As well as our WSL Academy programme, we can now also offer female players of varying ability levels, a 16-19 football education programme with Oaklands College. This enables players of varying levels to also be involved in a full-time football education programme delivered by Arsenal Women FC while studying at Oaklands College.
Players who are not yet at the level required to play in the WSL Academy, will be offered an opportunity to trial for our Oaklands College Women’s Football Academy Programme that runs alongside the WSL Academy Programme.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED...
- All students joining the Arsenal Academy must be enrolled onto a full-time course at Oaklands College.
- Players joining the Development Squad of the Arsenal Women’s Football Academy will be required to purchase the Adidas kit bundle, more information regarding this will be provided upon application and enrolment.
- Players who are invited or promoted into the Arsenal Under 21’s WSL Academy Squad, will receive the official Arsenal training and playing kit bundle.
- The academy takes a holistic approach to player development, it’s not just about playing football, it’s about creating an inspirational environment where players can develop into well rounded, independent young women. Players will be expected to follow the behavioural code and conduct associated with Arsenal Women Football Club.
Meet our coaches…
ELLIOT ALLUM, HEAD COACH, FOOTBALL ACADEMY
Elliot joined Arsenal in 2017, starting at Arsenal FC’s boys pre-academy, before moving into his current role within Arsenal Women. Elliot holds a number of roles including Youth Development Phase Lead, overseeing all female youth players from U14s – U16s, as well as coaching the U21s Academy and Oaklands College Programme. A former coach at Reading F.C. Women, Elliot has experience developing players from U14s through to the Women’s First Team.
HOLLY SKINNER, OPERATIONS COORDINATOR, FOOTBALL ACADEMY
Holly has been involved with the FA’s Girls England Talent Pathway in various roles within Club and Regional programmes, including Operations, Coaching and Talent ID for a number of years, including some time spent coaching in the USA. Before joining Arsenal Women FC, Holly was a Football Development Officer at MK Dons working in their Sport & Education Trust across their Elite Football and Community Projects including BTEC and RTC programmes. Holly holds her UEFA A Licence & FA Youth Award and currently oversees all the Academy Operations from U9s- U21s at Arsenal Women.
IAN BIGGADIKE, GK COACH, FOOTBALL ACADEMY
Ian leads the goalkeeping provision across all U9s – U21s within the Arsenal Academy and has been involved with Arsenal Women since 2014. Ian holds the UEFA B Licence, B Licence Goalkeeping award and works specifically with all of our U14s – U21s goalkeepers. He also runs five of his own goalkeeping academies across the country.
GEORGE WELLS, U21S ACADEMY ASSISTANT COACH, FOOTBALL ACADEMY
George has now been involved at Arsenal for five seasons having joined in 2015. George has worked in various roles within football and brings a wealth of experience to the programme. Prior to his time at Arsenal he worked at Middlesex FA Girls Centre of Excellence, where he coached across various age groups during his time there, including the U13s, U15s and U17s girl’s squads, before progressing onto work with Watford Ladies U21s/Development Squad.
LUCY BURDIN, ACADEMY ADMINISTRATOR & ASSISTANT COACH, FOOTBALL ACADEMY
Lucy joined Arsenal Women FC in 2015, where she started coaching within community projects and Player Development Programmes. After completing her Masters in Sports Psychology, Lucy began the role of U10s Head Coach, more recently leading the U12s. A UEFA B Licenced coach, Lucy has a wealth of coaching experience including working as a Education Mentor at the Stevenage Football Foundation.
AMY SHAW, ACADEMY S&C COACH, FOOTBALL ACADEMY
Amy joined Arsenal Women in Oct 2019 having previously worked at AFC Wimbledon where she was the Boys Lead Academy Sports Scientist/ Strength & Conditioning Coach working with a range of age groups from 9-U18s. Amy has played football herself for over 15 years up to national level. She has completed an MSc in Strength & Conditioning degree at Middlesex university, she is a Level 3 Advanced Personal Trainer and also gained her FA Level 2 in Coaching Football. Amy is responsible for the physical performance and athletic development of all players across the Arsenal Academy including the WSL Academy U21s and the Oaklands College squads.
LAURA CLINT, ACADEMY PHYSIOTHERAPIST/SPORTS THERAPIST, FOOTBALL ACADEMY
Laura joined Arsenal Women in Oct 2019. Having graduated from University of Hertfordshire in 2017 she has since gained experience in Canada as a sports therapist, working at Luton Town, England Rugby League University squad and also London Broncos as their Scholarship Lead Therapist. Laura is responsible for the medical provision across the Oaklands College Academy programme and also provides support for other Arsenal Academy teams when required.
ARSENAL WOMEN’S TEAM NAMES
- Arsenal WSL Academy U21s – this team represent Arsenal Women in the FA WSL Academy League
- Oaklands/AWFC Elite – elite college team and play within the ECFA Premier League
- Oaklands/AWFC Development – development college team and play within the AOC Regional League
(Please note we have changed this from the Prospectus as we had called the U21s elite in there but we are now registered in the leagues under the above names)
LEVEL OF ATHLETE
- Arsenal WSL Academy U21s – Playing at the highest level of the game, aged 16-20 and International experience is desired.
- Oaklands/AWFC Elite – Aimed at players with good experience at a high level club including RTC/Academy or Player Development Programmes.
- Oaklands/AWFC Development – Aimed at players with good grassroots club experience who wish to develop their football ability.
HOW MANY IN EACH TEAM?
- Arsenal WSL Academy U21s – 18-22 players
- Oaklands/AWFC Elite – 18-20 players
- Oaklands/AWFC Development – 18-20 players
INFORMATION ABOUT PROGRESSION TO HIGHER TEAM
- Arsenal WSL Academy U21s – The next step for players in this team is to step into the Arsenal Women 1st team squad.
- Oaklands/AWFC Elite – Players in this team may have the opportunity to step into the Arsenal Women WSL Academy U21s Programme.
- Oaklands/AWFC Development – Players in this team will have the opportunity to progress into the Oaklands/AWFC Elite squad and possibly the Arsenal WSL Academy U21s Programme.